Thursday, August 6, 2009

Sachin Tendulkar eyes 15000 Test runs, World Cup


It's been nearly four months since Sachin Tendulkar has taken the field. But his ambitions have not diminished.

In an interview with Wisden Tendulkar has said that he has set his sight on amassing 15,000 runs in Test cricket.

Tendulkar has also spoken about his dream of India winning the 2011 World Cup. India is one of the host nations from the sub-continent.

In the interview Tendulkar also talks about John Buchanan's comments on some Indian players in his new book including himself.

"It is only his opinion; John Buchanan doesn't have to be right all the time. If I couldn't handle short deliveries, then I wouldn't still be scoring runs," he said.

"Maybe he needs to change his opinion. There must be something very wrong with all the bowlers around the world that they have allowed me to score so many runs."
And he has again put to rest any questions on retiring from the game.

"I am not pleased yet with what I have done," he said. "Sunil Gavaskar has told me that I have to get to 15,000 runs. He said he would be angry with me and would come and catch me if I didn't. I admire him so much and to score that many would be a terrific achievement, but that is not the only aim."

Tendulkar also spoke about how he has been consistently playing with pain.
"I always play in pain, all the time. I played with a broken finger for the last three months, but you know when pain is manageable or not, and most of the time I can do it," he said.

"I can still do what I did when I was 25 but the body is changing, so your thought process has to change too. I have had to change how I think, which is about taking less risk," he added.

Don Bradman had said Tendulkar reminded him of himself and the Indian batsman was the only modern player in Bradman''s all-time XI.

Does Tendulkar think the same way about anyone? "I would say Virender Sehwag comes closest to my style."

Tendulkar said he was not thinking about retirement yet but he would know when to quit cricket.

"I will know when it is the right time, I won't have to be dragged away. I am the person who will make the decision and I will know whether I still belong."

He admitted life after cricket wouldn't be easy. "It's a scary thought. It has been there for my whole adult life, it will be difficult, I have been around for a long time, I can imagine when I finish I will long to face just 10 more balls but you have to move."

Source by: Cricketnext.in.com

No comments:

Post a Comment